Sunday, February 7, 2016

8 Foods Than Can Be Harmful/Helpful to Your Pet

Source : www.care-2.com

Many of you may find yourself faced with your canine friend looking at you with his big “puppy dog” eyes and pleading for whatever is on your plate. If you’re anything like me, this guilt tactic works and you’ll find yourself treating your dog to a few pieces of people food here and there. The next time you’re faced with those pleading eyes, you may want to reconsider depending on what you’re eating. A dog’s digestive system greatly differs from a human digestive system and what is harmless to us may be dangerous for them to ingest. Here is a list of some food items that you should not be feeding your pet under any circumstance, as consumption of them may be life threatening to your pooch:

Grapes – can cause kidney failure
Raisins – can cause kidney failure; are more dangerous than grapes as they are fermented
Chocolate – can cause kidney failure and abnormal heartbeats
Garlic – can cause vomiting, excessive thirst, diarrhea, and seizures
Gum – Sweetners in gums can cause seizures and low blood sugar levels
Alcoholic Beverages (You would think this would be a no-brainer, however, vets have reported many cases of alcohol consumptions)
Onion & Onion Powder – can cause anemia
Macadamia Nuts/Walnuts – can cause weakness, depression, tremors, and hyperthermia

While this list does not include every food that is dangerous to dogs, these foods are the most common foods that can put your pup in danger. While you’re dog may beg for these foods, he will thank you in the long run for not feeding them to him. For a more extensive list, check out this article from the Humane Society

Some foods that are safe for dog consumption are:

Peanut Butter – good source of protein, healthy fat, and essential vitamins
Canned Pumpkin (not the spiced pie-filling, but just pure pumpkin) – can help with an upset stomach or diarrhea
Cheese (in limited amounts) -
Lean Proteins (Cooked Salmon, Chicken)
Baby Carrots – low calorie and high fiber snack
Plain Yoghurt – high in calcium and protein; can act as a probiotic
Oatmeal with no sugar – good source of soluble fiber
Green Beans – low calorie and high in fiber


Disclaimer:  I am not a professional; my findings are from my own personal research and advice of my veterinarian. Before changing your dog’s diet you should always consult a licensed veterinarian.

4 comments:

  1. I had no idea that grapes or raisins were bad/dangerous for dogs! I knew they shouldn't have chocolate. This was an interesting post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Andi:
      I was shocked as well when I first found out! I'm glad I could pass along some helpful information

      Delete
  2. I knew most of the things that you should not feed a dog but I did not realize a couple of the items on the list. It kind of surprised me that garlic was on the list. I eat a lot of things that has garlic on it and often times I will give my dog a little piece of whatever it is I am eating. Glad I know not to do that now with garlic!

    ReplyDelete